Los Angeles Clippers

Former LA Clippers Owner, Donald Sterling’s Appeal Denied

on

Clippers NBA NewsIt appears that former Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling is officially out of options when it comes to attempting to prevent the sale of the Clippers to former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer as his appeal of Tuesday’s decision to allow the sale was denied on Wednesday.

The appeal was a writ of supersedeas and request for immediate stay of the $2 billion sale of the Clippers franchise, and it was Sterling’s last ditch effort to stop the sale.

“The evidence before this court indicates the sale of the Los Angeles Clippers to Steven Ballmer has closed,” the Court of Appeal said in its ruling. “Thus, there is nothing for this court to stay.”

In addition to that reasoning for the decision, the Court also ruled that Sterling, “has failed to show that the balancing of the relative harms favors granting a temporary stay or supersedeas.”

Max Blecher and Bobby Samini, attorneys for Donald Sterling, issued a statement that about the ruling: “We who represent Donald Sterling are deeply disappointed that he has been deprived from ownership of the Clippers after 33 years without being accorded appellate review of this harsh result.”

The legal team for the wife of Donald Sterling, Shelly Sterling, who had been given the right to sell the franchise also issued a statement Wednesday.

The statement said, “Shelly is thrilled that her decision to sell the Clippers to Steve Ballmer has been upheld by the Court of Appeal,” said Pierce O’Donnell, lead counsel for Shelly Sterling. “It is time for Donald to accept that the game is over and he has run out of courts. For the Clippers, it is a new era under a new owner whose commitment to excellence and passion will take the team to an NBA championship.”

About Grant Hamersma

Recommended for you

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *